Thursday, April 14, 2011

Spicy Kizhangu/Potato Curry

Usually I and my husband have Roti and subzi for dinner. Roti is not a common food in Kerala. My parents like to have rice for lunch and dinner. But if i offer to make chapathi for dinner they are happy because they will get something different for dinner and they know that I will do everything by myself  ;-)
Anyways, coming to roti and chapathi, chapathi we make at home is actually the thinner version of the north indian paratha. I prefer chapathi to roti. I can eat anything with chapathi from pickle to raitha. But my most favourite is, like many people, is potato curry. When I make potato curry for my husband it's different with garam masala,ginger garlic paste or even some green peas. But if i make for only myself, i prefer a Kerala spicy potato curry which has ground coconut in it. When i say this, I can imagine the frown on the faces of my non-keralite friends with a thought in their mind - Coconut with potato! What a wierd combination!
But dear friends, yes it sounds wierd, but it's not at all bad! In fact, this is my most favourite side dish with chapathi. So here I share this wierd recipe with my friends who want to try it out and feel the difference from usual paneer mutter, aloo gobi etc.
Ingredients :
Potato - 2 medium sized
Onion - 1 medium
Garlic - 1/2 tsp
Coconut grated - 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Meat masala - 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 bunch
Dried red chillies - 2
Water - 1/2 cup
Oil - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp

First fry the coconut in 1 tsp oil for 2 minutes and grind it with meat masala and chilly powder by adding 1/4 cup water and keep aside. Peel the potatoes and slice them into thin long pieces. Chop the onion and crush the garlic. Now heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds,curry leaves and dried green chillies. Add onion and garlic and saute well adding little bit salt. Once the onion turns golden brown in colour, add the potato pieces and turmeric. Again fry for 2 minutes. Now add the ground masala and water and cook adding salt as per taste till the potatoes are cooked. Once the gravy is thick, remove from fire and serve hot with chapathi.

Note : For meat masala, we can add ready made powder or a ground mixture of all the spices such as corriander seeds,pepper,nutmeg,fennel seeds,star anise,cardamom,cloves,cinnamon etc. I add ready made meat masala powder available in the market which is equally good.


1 comment: